A business continuity plan is essential for organisations who want to primary operations even when unplanned disaster strikes. Without having the strategies in place, the smallest of disruptions could result in a catastrophic impact causing operations to cease in the worst instance.
ISO 22301 is the world’s most recognised method of managing continuity planning thanks to its universal framework method of implementing viable solutions to problems. ISO compliance implementation is only 100% effective if the company managing the process understands the relevance of the requested actions. When it comes to BCM, we recommend that organisations take the time to familiarise themselves with the areas of the strategy in order to create effective solutions.
You can learn more in our article about business continuity management for ISO 22301, but in this blog, we will be exploiting the three main areas in depth. To understand what comprises an effective BCM, keep reading.
- What Is Business Continuity Management And Why Is It Important?
- The 3 Components Of Business Continuity Management
- How Does ISO 22301 Create Effective Business Continuity Management Plans?
- What Are The Benefits Of ISO 22301?
- How Can Creative Networks Support With Business Continuity Management?
What Is Business Continuity Management And Why Is It Important?
The clue is in the name when it comes to understanding the importance of BCM. Every business strives for continuity, but an element that can be perceived as outside of one’s control is that the right measures are not put into place. By way of definitions, business continuity management is the design of a process that can be deployed should a threat become apparent that poses a risk to business activities. This could be anything from a staff absence to a global disaster. No matter the scale, it is a term that covers any form of risk that would stop business as usual from taking place.
Not only is BCM essential for keeping operations moving, but it also improves the overall resilience of a company. This has other benefits, such as improvements to customer perceptions, brand image and enhanced supply chain trust. Companies that are seen to be operating with a tried and tested continuity in the plan are looked on favourably as safer options for people to link with.
The 3 Components Of Business Continuity Management
A business continuity management plan is only as effective as the tools to create it. Even though the names of these main elements will differ, their meaning is standard across all definitions. Without all three of these considerations, companies will find that their strategies are ineffective when they are needed the most.
The three parts of BCM are outlined below.
Disaster Response Plan
One element of a BCM is having a plan that can be actioned if needed. This should be tested and audited often, which is one of the benefits of managing the process via 22301.
A disaster recovery plan must include detailed protocols and processes ready to make life when issues occur. This should also be available at different levels to ensure that a recovery plan can be used no matter how large or small the issue is. The plan should include the emergency responses, designated stakeholders and plans for recovery once the problem has passed.
This should also be a document that is formally produced and signed off with everyone in the organisations gaining access to ensure transparency in understanding can be established.
Crisis Management Processes
The disaster recovery plans must be created via crisis management, the name given to the hands-on execution of the processes. This can be seen as the glue that holds the processes and people together when disaster strikes.
Communication is essential to ensure effective crisis management. As such, the best resources must be highlighted and put into place. The management process must also outline, in detail, the developments needed to see a company through any issues. This should be formalised via protocols and strategies that the entire company has a view of.
Operation Recovery and Resolution
Continuity means that processes can carry on. This forms the resolution element of a BCM, which is the final phase of execution. As well as seeing operations return to their intended state, this also offers a stage at which learnings can be obtained and applied to future activities.
Risk management tools can be derived from executive recovery plans, which form effective long-term BCM processes. This also allows perspective to be obtained, allowing future risks to be more easily identified and managed.
How Does ISO 22301 Create Effective Business Continuity Management Plans?
ISO 22301 is an international standard from ISO that covers Business Continuity Management (BCM). As with other ISO certifications, the bar allows companies to create a functional BCM through defining, auditing and iterating.
ISO 22301 is seen as a framework, which is one of the reasons it creates such effective continuity plans and processes. By encompassing all of the elements we have included in this article, the standard allows organisations to seek amendments that would have otherwise been missed constantly.
Testing and recording all activities promoted by ISO 22301 also ensures companies can learn from previous events. You can get ISO 22301 certification by completely following the controls and measures, which results in an effective BCM and ongoing strategies.
Click the following link to find out more about what ISO 22301 is.
What Are The Benefits Of ISO 22301?
The benefits of ISO 22301 for business continuity management are plentiful, with a summary of these being as follows:
- Assets can be better protected in all situations, allowing for operations to occur more confidently. By understanding the risks, measures that protect what’s important can be implemented, which appeals to all stakeholders. As well as improving the employees, suppliers, and customers’ confidence in a business, this ISO standard also ensures clear communication lines are in place should an issue occur. This protects everyone whilst keeping operations moving along.
- ISO 22301 improves overall brand image as the standard is seen as a badge of quality. This is because ISO has global notoriety, which everyone knows relates to quality in every sense of the word. Companies with ISO 22301 offer an appealing image as they also have greater self-awareness. This leads to improvements in business growth and more opportunities on a global scale. It also conveys that a business is financially successful and willing to take the measures needed to prolong effective operations.
- ISO 22301 also allows various industry standards and requirements to be satisfied. This improves risk awareness and will enable cost-savings through meeting various standards your business may be required to adopt.
- Stakeholders are always in place, so people are ready to maintain operations no matter what happens. A big part of this is ensuring the right stakeholders are in place at all times, which can be a complex task for recruitment and team changes. ISO 22301 offers a further benefit in that it can support hiring managers with understanding the priority of role fulfilment, which allows costs to be streamlined and recruitment managed sustainably.
- Finally, the auditing process required by 22301 can lead to other findings being uncovered, which can benefit the wider business. This level of operating transparency is a great way to unite teams and create a culture of productive plus efficient working styles. This is also one of the ways that Cyber Essentials can be seen as differing from ISO 22301 as it combines all departments instead of just a select few.
How Can Creative Networks Support With Business Continuity Management?
At Creative Networks, we offer a wide range of IT services which all feed into a successful business continuity planning. Furthermore, as experts in ISO certifications, especially 22301, we can offer our clients professional framework solutions that protect operations whilst ensuring companies can still scale as required.
Our leadership team has made it their mission to help companies reduce risks though succinct and professional IT infrastructures. To find out more and to start your company’s ISO 22301 journey for ongoing BCM success, contact us today.